Have you heard about hydrotherapy and wondered if it’s effective for weight loss? The therapy has been used medicinally for hundreds of years, proving its ability to aid in reducing pain. But with hydrotherapy becoming more popular in both medical practices and training gyms, it’s gaining more traction as a weight loss exercise as well.
This article explains the benefits of hydrotherapy on weight loss. For personalised advice, feel free to contact our friendly and helpful team at StudioXPhys today.
What is Hydrotherapy?
Land-based exercises tend to be hard on joints and the body overall. For those who are new to exercise, experiencing pain, or are overweight or obese, land-based exercises can be especially tough and high-impact. Water therapy, which is a low-impact calorie burning exercise, has become increasingly popular over the years as an alternative treatment for many medical conditions. In turn, it has shown itself to be an excellent candidate for those looking to lose weight.
How Does Hydrotherapy Help With Weight Loss?
Hydrotherapy helps users achieve the feeling of weightlessness. With this feeling comes improved mobility and reduced pain when exercising, helping to increase time spent exercising. Additionally, working out in water can make exercise more enjoyable. Hydrotherapy assists with weight loss by:
- Burning more calories than land-based exercises due to the addition of water
- Increasing range of motion and muscle strength, using the water as resistance to build muscle which then burns more calories while at rest
- Increasing endurance by allowing a longer workout due to the low impact of the exercise
- Reducing stress that can be caused by other forms of exercise, or by day-to-day stressors which increase cortisol levels, leading to increased body fat
- Fighting insomnia and combating sleep issues, helping to sleep better at night by lowering body temperature which promotes a good night’s rest
- Detoxifying the body by inducing sweat to eliminate toxins and impurities, leading to a healthier body and healthier mind
- Enhancing the immune system by improving circulation which promotes blood flow and fights off illnesses
- Reducing inflammation, helping to relax muscles with warmer water
Overall, hydrotherapy is an excellent choice for those looking to lose weight, as it helps in increasing muscle strength and endurance and decreasing stress and inflammation.
How is Hydrotherapy Different to Swimming Laps?
Hydrotherapy involves the completion of tailored exercises in the water and is different to simply swimming laps. The exercises may include support from specialised aids like weights, boards, and other helpful tools. You may even use the classic pool ‘noodle’ during your exercises!
During your hydrotherapy session, your instructor will guide you through a series of exercises, activities and tasks designed to help you meet your fitness, recovery or lifestyle goals. If swimming laps is your goal, then hydrotherapy can help you build up the aerobic fitness and strength you need to achieve it. Both swimming laps and hydrotherapy may support weight loss, however, hydrotherapy offers a more personalised approach.
Book a Hydrotherapy Appointment
If you’re looking to lose weight with the help of hydrotherapy, we hope this article has been useful for you. With over 50 years of combined experience, the team at StudioXPhys serves the Gold Coast region with locations in Mudgeeraba and Hope Island. We hold our hydrotherapy classes in a state of the art hydrotherapy pool warmed to between 30 and 34 degrees Celsius, a comfortably warm temperature which will help with relaxation.